This programme is suitable for ambitious and highly motivated individuals who wish to attend a High School in Ireland for a semester or academic year.
|Enrolment:||Academic Year: September – June:
One Semester: September – December or January-March
Two Semesters: September –March or January-June
|Accommodation:||Full Board Homestay (Standard Day School or Private Day School)
Boarding (Private 5 day Boarding or 7 day Boarding)
- Selection and placement in a quality Irish Secondary school
- Full guardianship service
- Local orientation on arrival
- Full board accommodation Homestay or Residential (Excluding Christmas vacation)
- School Uniform. ( standard state schools only)
- First arrival and final departure transfer
- Ongoing contact with host family regarding students welfare and progress
- Sourcing of teachers for optional extra tuition.
- Regular school visits to High School including meeting with subject teachers.
- State examination fees
- Monthly progress report
- Assistance with visa application for non EU students
- 24 hour emergency phone contact
- Final School and Ministry of Education Document
- Transfers during the programme (apart from arrival and departure)
- Private medical insurance
- Air fares to/from Ireland
- Sports uniform and equipment as per school requirements
- School text books and specific subject materials eg art materials
- Local transportation costs.
- Extra curricular school excursions and sports
- Christmas and Easter holiday accommodation
- Extra English language tuition (available on request)
The majority of High Schools in Ireland are standard non-fee-paying voluntary schools. They receive grants from the Department of Education to assist with their running costs and they offer the official curriculum of the Irish Department of Education.
- Broad range of subjects
- Local host families
- University-Entrance oriented
- Single sex and co educational
- Religious and non-religious
- Access to local facilities
There are a number of private schools both day and boarding which partly maintained by the state offering the official curriculum of the Irish Department of Education.
- Wide range of locations
- Prestigious reputation
- Excellent sports facilities
- Residential on-site accommodation or local host families
- Wide choice of subjects
- High percentage of school graduates go to University
- Religious and non religious
- Single Sex and Co- Educational
- Small classes
- Pastoral support and assistance on site
- Ireland is a safe, welcoming English speaking country know all over the world for its friendliness and hospitality. Don’t just take our word for it- Lonely Planet voted Ireland the world’s friendliest country in 2011.
- Ireland has one of the best Education systems in the world according to the independent IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook. Over 48 per cent of Irish 25-34 year olds hold university-level qualifications (the highest rate in Europe and one of the highest in the OECD) and 95% Irish people graduate from secondary education (the highest in Europe)
- Irish people love to talk and conversation is one of our national pastimes making it the ideal location for international students to make new friends through English and develop their confidence in speaking the language.
- We have a young, dynamic, knowledge based economy. Our highly qualified English speaking graduates have attracted the likes of Facebook, Google, Twitter, Paypal, Pfizer,Apple and Intel all whom have chosen Ireland as the location for their European headquarters.
- Ireland has a rich cultural heritage and we are known all over the world for our songs our stories and our music. As an international student you can walk in the footsteps of Joyce, Beckett,Wilde, Yeats and others and have a truly unforgettable experience.
- Ireland has a young vibrant population with over 40% of the population under the age of 25 making Ireland one of the most exciting locations in the world to be a student.
- Level of English – Intermediate equivalent to TOEFL 450, IELTS 4,5 or Cambridge First Certificate. Extra English language tuition can be provided on request
- Academic Reports: Copies of two recent academic transcripts.
- Reference from your school principal
Homestay students are accommodated with our carefully selected host families and are enrolled in a local day school which can either by public or private as requested. All our host families are visited by an LLI representative and are chosen because of their suitability to host an academic year student. Host families are warm and welcoming and treat the student as they would their own family member Host families live within walking distance or a short journey by public transport from the selected High School. The student has breakfast and dinner with the host family and they are provided with a packed lunch. During the weekend all meals are with the host family.
Students who choose to attend boarding school are generally accommodated in dormitories which are shared with their fellow students. Many schools have small two or four bedded rooms with bathroom facilities and some final year students have single rooms. Students have all their meals in the school cafeteria and there is generally a tuck shop where snacks can be purchased. Boarding allows the student to take part in a range of sporting and recreational activities in a caring supportive community comprised of fellow students, teachers and house parents. Many boarding schools are 5 day boarding and the student lives with a carefully selected host family at the weekend returning to school on Sunday evening. Some schools offer 7 day boarding and this should be requested if desired when making the application.
All high school students have a dedicated guardian. This is an LLI representative who will help the student settle in and is available in case of emergencies 24 hours a day if needed. Parents are encouraged to contact the Guardian whenever they wish to receive an update on how their child is progressing. We take this responsibility very seriously and our guardians are highly experienced in dealing with students and are known by all our participating schools.
Your Guardian will:
- Assist with the purchase of school books and uniforms and the initial settling in at school and with the host family
- Make monthly visits to the school for counselling and progress report.
- Liase with the school and the host family regarding the students academic progress and overall welfare.
- Supply the student with a 24 hour contact number in case of emergency.